What is the Sports Premium?
The Government is currently providing funding each academic year to provide new, substantial primary school sport funding’. This funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
The sport funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Purpose of funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
It is expected that school will see an improvement against five key indicators:
1. the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activities to help kick start a healthy active lifestyle
2. the profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
3. increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
4. broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
5. increased participation in competitive sports
Possible uses for the funding include:
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside Primary teachers when teaching PE
- new or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE/sport
- providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and holiday clubs.
How will Urchfont CE Primary School be spending the Sports Funding and who will benefit?
At Urchfont, we believe that the money must be used so that: all children benefit regardless of sporting ability; that the most able children are given the opportunity to compete in advanced tournaments and that staff have access to training opportunities and continued professional development. Schools receive Sports Premium budget for the financial year, this report is based upon academic years (i.e. September-July)
In 2018 -2019, we received £16,990. Please click here for the Sports Premium impact report for the academic year 2018 -2019.
In 2019 -2020, we are expecting to receive £16,860. Please click here for the Sports Premium reports for the academic year 2019 -2020 where we set out how we intend to spend our money for the academic year
Please look at our Sports News page (Children) to find out what we do in PE/Sports and the impact of the Sports Grant on the school and our recent successes.