Special Educational Needs and Disability Provision at Urchfont Church of England  Primary School
New SEN Code of Practice - January 2015           
From 1 September 2014 there will be changes to the way children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) are supported. As some of you might be aware the Government has recently published a new SEN Code of Practice. The new system means that your local authority and school has to make sure you and your child are fully involved in decisions about how we support your child’s special educational needs and disabilities in future.

From 1st September 2014, Statements of special education needs were replaced with Education, Health and Care plans for children and young people with complex needs. The EHC plan has placed much more emphasis on personal goals and describes the support a child  receives while they are in education or training. For those with SEN or disabilities who do not need an EHC plan, a new category called SEN support was introduced. 

What does it mean for my child?

These changes will not affect the level and type of support we offer to your children.  The SEND Code of Practice says that schools should use a four-part cycle (Assess, Plan, Do and Review) to support your child with special educational needs. This is something we are already doing. We identify the extra support your child needs in order to make progress, put this support in place, and regularly check how well it is working, so that we can change the amount or kind of support if we need to. We will continue to meet those parents with children who have SEND on a termly basis. These meetings will either be with the class teacher and/or with the SENCo.

For more information and for our recently updated policy please see the links below:

Wiltshire county council has published their ‘local offer’ making clear which services are available for children with SEN locally. Please follow the link below to view the Wiltshire Local Offer.


Useful SEND links:

Further information and support can be found by clikcling the links below:

Wiltshire SENDIASS

The Dyslexia-SpLD Trust

Contact a Family

DfE A Guide for Parents and Carers (SEND)