SEN Information - Annual report 2022

Please click on the link to read our latest SEND Policy: SEND Policy 2022


What does Urchfont CE  Primary School offer children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) and their families?

Urchfont CE Primary School has a SEND policy, in which its definition of SEND is taken from the 2014 Code of Practice (Department for Education: 2014). This is available to view on the Policies and Documents page of this website in addition to the link below.

Urchfont CE Primary School

We are a small, friendly staff at Urchfont CE Primary School. We work hard to ensure that the school has a warm, friendly and inviting atmosphere, where children feel safe and secure. We pride ourselves on ensuring that we plan and deliver fun and exciting lessons, which are well matched to the curriculum objectives.

What do we mean by “Special Educational Needs”?

  • • Under the 2014 Special Education Needs Code of Practice, Special Education Needs and Disabilities are placed together, and abbreviated to SEND.
  • • Any child who has a learning need or a disability which is sustained (i.e. lasts, or is likely to last, more than a year) and substantial (defined as ‘not trivial’) may be classified as having a Special Educational Need and placed on the SEND support register.
  • • Wiltshire produce checklists for schools to use to identify children whose difficulties mean they should be placed on the SEND support register.

How does the school know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think that my child has Special Educational Needs?

At Urchfont children are identified as having SEND in a variety of ways including the following;

  • • Concerns raised by parents
    • Concerns raised by teacher or teaching assistant (i.e. social and nurture needs preventing progress)
    • Child performing below age related academic expectations as noted by class teachers on-going assessments and by reviews of data by the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) and headteacher
    • Liaison with outside agencies (i.e. speech and language therapists)
    • Liaison with a paediatrician who has made a health diagnosis
    • Consideration of the WIPD (Wiltshire Indicators Performance Descriptors)

What special needs does the school cater for and how?

The types of difficulty identified in the Education Act are:

  • • Communication and Interaction; this includes children who experience a difficulty in communicating with others; children who may not understand or use social rules of communication and children who have speech or language difficulties.
    • Cognition and Learning; this includes children who may learn at a slower pace to their peers even with appropriate differentiation and excellent classroom teaching.
    • Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties; these difficulties manifest themselves in many ways including withdrawn or disruptive behaviour.
    • Sensory and/or Physical Difficulties; this includes disabilities which prevents or hinders a child from making use of the educational facilities generally provided.

How will Urchfont CE Primary School support my child to achieve their full potential? Who will oversee, plan and work with my child and how often will this happen?

  • • Our SENCO oversees all support and progress of any child needing additional support in school.
    • As a whole school we aim that all children with special educational needs have their needs met to the best of our ability with the funds available.
    • Your child’s class teacher will oversee and plan work within their class setting to aim to ensure that progress is made in every area.
    • A teaching assistant may work with your child, either individually, or as part of a group, if this is seen as necessary by the SENCO and your child’s class teacher. The regularity of these sessions will be explained to you when support starts.
    • Sometimes, specialist support from outside agencies (i.e. Speech and Language Therapists) will be sought for your child if, after discussion between yourselves and the SENCO, this is thought to be appropriate. The regularity of these sessions will be explained to you when support starts.

How is SEND recorded in school and my child’s progress monitored?

If it has been agreed, in partnership with yourselves, to place your child on the SEND register, then they will either be assessed as needing a 'My Support Plan’ or an 'Education Health Care Plan' (EHCP) depending on their level of need?

What is a My Support Plan?

A My Support Plan  is Wiltshire's way of supporting young people who do not meet the criteria for a My EHC Plan.

At this level, a SEND Lead Worker can be involved, but a My Support Plan can be completed by an educational setting or another professional working with a young person and used to plan and co-ordinate their support.

Who will have a My Support Plan?

My Support Plans are person centred and outcome focused. This means they are designed to concentrate on individual needs and prioritise the things that important to, and important for, an individual. If used properly, My EHC Plans and My Support Plans should evolve with an individual.

What should you do if you think your child needs a My Support Plan?

Talk to the class teacher or SENCo in the first instance. Although Wiltshire Local Authority SEND Lead Worker will not be involved in writing a My Support Plan, because it is not statutory, they may still be able to give advice if you call our Single Point of Contact (01225 757 985)

What is the connection between a My EHC Plan and a My Support Plan?

A My Support Plan is not a legally binding plan, so not all schools will complete one and some will have their own approach to this level of support. However, Wiltshire Local Authority have tried to design a My Support Plan to match up as closely as possible with a My EHC Plan, so that if a young person’s needs increase, their support can be delivered without interruption. If a pupil has lifelong or significant or complex difficulties the local authority may undertake a statutory Needs Assessment to see if they require a legally binding Education, Health Care Plan (EHCP). This is usually requested by theschool but can be requested by a parent. The decision to make a referral for a Needs Assessment will be taken at a progress review involving parents, SENCo and Head if applicable.

Further information about EHC Plans can found via the SEND Local Offer:

Who will explain this to me and help me to support my child’s learning?

  • The school will keep you informed about your child’s progress with twice yearly parent’s evenings and an annual written report. Your child’s classteacher will explain their expectations for your child and how he or she will be supported to achieve them.
    • If your child has a ‘My Plan’ to help accelerate support and progress then you will meet with the SENCO at least three times a year to work together and agree next steps for your child.
    • In addition to this we are always keen to hear of any questions you may have or share any special celebrations of your child’s progress at any point throughout the year. You are always welcome to make an appointment with either your child’s classteacher or the SENCO at any time. Please do this by ringing or emailing the school office on 01380 840793  or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

How will my child’s voice be heard?

As a Church school we celebrate diversity, respect children’s rights and encourage children to honour their responsibilities. Regular class Personal, Social and Health Education activities, supported lunchtime groups and an organised school council all provide regular forums in which children can share their opinions in an open context. Classes all also have their own agreed arrangements for how to share thoughts, worries and ideas on a one to one basis.

  • Children working on intervention programmes will discuss their targets with the teacher or teaching assistant leading them.
  • Children with a My Plan or Education Health Care Plan will, when appropriate, be invited to contribute to the review meetings. Where it isn’t fitting for them to be present, their views will always be sought beforehand with the help of a supportive and trusted adult.

Accessibility of the setting environment

As part of our recent building and extension of the main school building, the school is now accessible to wheelchairs.  

We have a disabled toilet which is large enough to enable changing.

All of our classrooms are designed to be Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC) friendly with visual timetables and clear prompts on display.

Activities outside of the classroom, including school trips

At Urchfont CE Primary School, we are committed to ensuring that we are inclusive to the needs of all children. Trips are carefully planned and the needs of the group are assessed at the planning stage. Where possible, extra resources are put in place to allow every child to take part, e.g. ensuring there is an extra adult to supervise a child on a 1:1 basis if needed.

Social / out of school opportunities

The school organises various events throughout the year, such as school discos and film nights. There are also a variety of clubs run over the year by outside agencies and by staff within the school. Examples from last year include: netball, football, gardening, choir, Gymnastics, Dance, and many others. If additional support is required in order to access an activity, school will provide staff or volunteers.

Supporting children’s social development

Each class teaches PSHE weekly to the whole class. Support is given to individuals and groups as issues arise. Where a need is identified that is additional to the support given in class, Social Skills groups are set up for groups of individuals to take part in. We also currently have a morning Nurture Group that is run by a teaching assistant that is trained in emotional literacy.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child/young person’s needs?

The needs of the majority of children will be met in the classroom. In all classes teachers are responsible for the teaching and learning of all pupils, including those with SEND. They ensure that the work is appropriately planned and differentiated so all children can access it. Teaching assistants (TAs) or the teacher may be allocated to work with the pupil in small focus groups or 1:1 to target more specific needs. Where appropriate, specialist equipment may be given to the pupil e.g. writing slope or pencil grips.

For some children it will be necessary for them to spend time in small group work or being withdrawn from the classroom for specific, timed activities related to the needs identified in their ‘My Plan’. This may be delivered by the teacher or teaching assistant and will complement classroom work so that the skills, knowledge and understanding will be transferred to the classroom. The SENCO will oversee this provision.

Who can I talk to / how, if I am not happy with what / how my child is learning?

The class teacher will meet with parents/carers two times a year, as well as reporting comprehensively on your child’s progress in their annual report. For children on the special educational needs register , further review meetings will be held.

If you are unsure at any time, please talk to us. Your first port of call should always be your child’s class teacher. Together, you can then decide whether it is a matter for the SENCO or whether the issue can be dealt with by yourself and the class teacher. You are more than welcome to make an appointment with the class teacher or SENCO through the usual channels.

What Specialist Support and Expertise can Urchfont Offer?

Please click on the link below which explains what Wiltshire Councilm can offer your child.

Wiltshire Local offer

Our SENCO is experienced in this area and has had many years of experience supporting pupils, parents and staff to ensure all pupils make appropriate progress in all areas.

Our teachers are all trained in how to make their classrooms and lessons accessible to all and have a wide and varied SEND background.
Our teaching assistants (TAs) share an extensive experience of many different SEND needs and all teaching assistants have dedicated areas of expertise in which they lead interventions across the whole school
A TA trained in Emotional Literacy support (ELSA) who provides intensive nurture and social skills support alongside the curriculum.
An TA trained in Speech & Langauge Intervention.
Regular and established links to specialist learning support provided by Wiltshire Council specialist teachers.
Regular and established links to behaviour support specialists provided by Wiltshire Council.
Regular and established links to Primary Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (PCAMHS) based at Melksham Hospital.
Regular and established links to an occupational therapist.
Regular and established links to a named Educational Psychologist.
A school nurse to advise and support with medical needs.
Trained first aiders in school.
A Parent Support Advisor able to lead and enable access to counselling, parenting courses, signpost to family therapy and adult mental health services and offer long term support to families with children with SEND.

How are school staff trained to manage SEND?

The SENCO provides regular training to school staff at staff meetings, TA meetings and on training days.
The SENCO attends regular training provided by specialists in SEND and also attends local SENCO cluster groups.
Outside agencies come into school or organise local cluster groups to provide training in their own specialist fields.
If specific training is required to meet the needs of your child (i.e. specialist medical training) then the SENCO will liaise with outside professionals and yourselves to ensure that this happens.
The SENCO is responsible for ensuring that resources and provision is effective. This is monitored through on-going analysis of progress and reported in the SENCO’s reports to governors.

How are the governors involved and what are their responsibilities?

The SENCO reports to the governors at least twice a year to inform them of progress being made by children with SEND. This report does not refer to individual children and confidentiality is maintained at all times.
One of the governors is named as having responsibility for SEND and meets regularly with the SENCO to ensure that they are informed of all progress and needs for the future. They also report back to the wider governing body. The Governor with responsibility for SEND is Mrs Anya Watson.


Our school is aware that when it is time for a child to move schools or year groups these transitions are key times and need to be planned for to ensure it is as smooth as possible.

We like to have had records sent from the previous school or nursery and to have spoken to the parents and/or SENCO to know about any special arrangements that need to be made for your child.
We would like you to arrange for your child to visit our school before their first day. If your child is moving into Reception from nursery education your child will have planned induction visits.

If your child is moving to another school:

We will contact the SENCO to pass on key information about your child and to inform them of any special arrangements for your child.
We will pass your child’s records onto the new school as soon as possible.

When your child moves year groups and/or classrooms:

Information about your child will be passed onto their new teachers.
Our school has a ‘Meet the teacher’ session for the children to meet their new teachers as a whole class.
Parents have an opportunity to meet their child’s teacher within the first week of a new school year.
If your child needs more support with transitioning to their new class, we will support these special arrangements for your child.

In Year 6:

Our Year 6 class teacher and the SENCO meet with the Year Group Leaders and/or SENCOs of the feeder Secondary Schools. At these meetings key information about your child is passed on and a discussion is held if your child needs extra support with their transition.
Your child will have an induction day at their new school with the rest of the of the Year 6’s transitioning to the same school.
If you child would benefit from extra visits and contact with their new Secondary School please speak to your child’s class teacher and this can be arranged.
If your child is moving to a Secondary School further afield then please let your child’s class teacher know and they along with the SENCO will pass key information over.

Questions from young people

The child is at the heart of everything we do and therefore their feelings and responses to the new way SEND is delivered must be taken into consideration.

The children will obviously have many questions that will need to be answered. Some of these might already be covered within our general information pages or welcome packs. However, as these issues specifically relate to anxieties and concerns felt by the young people with SEND, we will endeavour to answer those questions as and when they arise.

The point of contact for our school is the headteacher and SENCO, Mrs Carol Talbot.

Please click on the link below to read what Wiltshire Council can offer your child.

Wiltshire Local Offer