Physical Education (PE)
At Urchfont, we aim to develop agility, co-ordination and confidence through physical activity. The classes are timetabled dedicated PE lessons and through the year a range of activities are taught including dance, gymnastics, games and athletics.
Year 2 and 3 also receive swimming lessons for part of the year. This is undertaken once a week and we aim for children to swim 50 metres and develop corresponding skills.
To promote the children's physical development, the link between physical activity and good health is explored in connection with other subjects, as are the concepts of body awareness and safety.
Children at Urchfont have the opportunity to:
- Represent the school in competitions
- Participate in inter-school / house sports events
- Experience an extended school journey
- Learn about the environment
- Learn to swim weekly in Year 2 & 3
- Participate in a variety of sports clubs.
PE lessons include:
- Foundation and Key Stage 1 - athletics, dance, games, and gymnastics
- Key Stage 2 - athletics, dance, games, gymnastics and swimming
PE sessions at Urchfont are taught by class teachers and a specialist PE teacher. These sessions provide children with quality first teaching as well as up-skilling the teachers.
We are part of our cluster secondary school’s sports programme. We take part in sports festivals which enables our children from EYFS to year 6 to participate in activities and competitions with other schools from the local area.
We also encourage our children to take part in appropriate competitive school sports. At Urchfont, all children in KS2 participate in School Games tournaments and these include:-
- Intra-School Competition (Level 1)
- Local Inter-School Competition (Level 2)
- County Final (Level 3)
- School Games National Finals
Over the years, we have competed in many level 1 and 2 competitions and have also qualified for county finals in hockey, swimming, tennis and quadkids.
In addition, we run a variety of active after school clubs every week which are run by school staff and outside providers. Further details can be found on the clubs page.